My new 6x2 1/2 x 2 1/2 nature aquarium

Aqua Design Amano, What is the best way to use these products, Members experiences in using these products for Aquascaping.

My new 6x2 1/2 x 2 1/2 nature aquarium

Postby spudly » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Here is my new tank! I had it made to metric specs and it is 180x75x76cm deep ( 3cm shorter than 6 ft but 2 1/2 ft deep).

I built the cabinet and collar myself. I wasn't happy with the sturdiness, functionality or styling of most of the aquarium furniture I have seen so I did it myself. I constructed the cabinet frame using common hand tools and a friends electric drop saw. It is super sturdy and over engineered. The outside of the cabinet and doors is 17mm ply cut to size at Bunnings, it is finished with gloss varnish. It might not suit everyone's taste but it is perfect for my Industrial style warehouse conversion.
I
The collar is 15mm ply pre cut at bunnings as well as light structural timber and metal bracing. The front of the collar is removable to facilitate tank access. The collar front panel is held in place with a magnetic cupboard closure at each end. I wasn't sure that this would work but the 8kg rated magnets are amazing and you would never guess the front even comes off. I'm using high quality, high efficiency LED lights that are mounted on rails and the rails are supported by the collar structure, they are easily moved for tank maintenance.

The scape took a while to work out, though I had been planning the broad outline of the tank for ages so it wasn't too hard. The left side if the tank is just foreground plants for both swimming space and so I can view my courtyard through the tank.

So far it's planted with Lilaeopsis, bolbitus, hygrophilla pinatafida, needle leaf java fern, aponageton ulvaceus, crypt balensae, crypt wendti, Limnophilia aromatica, tiger val as well as some fast growing wisteria and stricta.

The water is still super acid and has a lot of ammonia from the aquasoil despite several water changes but it is slowly improving.

More updates soon.

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spudly

Re: My new 6x2 1/2 x 2 1/2 nature aquarium

Postby tommydanger » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:34 pm

Huge tank and looking good!!!

more photos please!!!
tommydanger

Postby spudly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am

Limnophilia Aromatica
spudly

Postby spudly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:58 am